Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Expect More. Pay Less.

Target is the classier, slightly more expensive version of Wal-Mart. Though Wal-Mart is frequented by myself and friends because it's closer, Target is the place we journey too. We look forward to it. Lovingly, we pronounce it "Tar-jay" with a French accent. Brightly lit and modern looking the store is inviting and has a trendy feel (as evidenced by the Starbucks within.) I admit, my love seems shallow, but I swear it's not just about looks. In this blog, I plan to unearth the deeper, more mature side of Target.Target is a retailer that sells just about everything one could think of needing in day to day life. Things myself or friends have purchased from Target: Patterned rainboots, DVDs, clothing, toiletries, make-up, various snacks, a humidifier, weight loss shakes, bedding, etc. On their website http://www.target.com/ Target has their mission statement:
"Our mission is to make Target the preferred shopping destination for our guests by delivering outstanding value, continuous innovation and an exceptional guest experience by consistently fulfilling our Expect More. Pay Less.® brand promise.
To support our mission, we are guided by our commitments to great value, the community, diversity and the environment."
Sounds pretty amazing to me. Target proves all of the extra stuff in the second sentence through it's actions as well. The are certainly not all talk. Target is going green, giving back to the community, and are strong supporters of diversity within their stores.



Target has a nice, squeaky-clean reputation through word-of-mouth and business magazines alike. Perhaps Target's most impressive, recent nod came from Fortune Magazine, which ranked target #11 on it's list of "America's Most Admired Companies 2008." All of the company's accomplishments are posted conveniently on it's website, displayed prominently. Target also showcases that it gives back to the community with a recent TV ad saying that it gives back 5% of all profits it makes to the communities of the U.S.
I'll admit, most of target's stunning good news I was unaware of until I visited their awesome website. I had seen the commercial that stated the percentage of money Target gives back, but that was the extent. Otherwise I had just never heard anything bad about the store through word of mouth.
PR wise, Target needs to get the good things it does out there more than they are already, one commercial and a section on their website that most people don't visit just isn't enough. Will I come up with better suggestions? Oh, I hope so. This Saturday Night Live skit might be considered a bit of good, though abnormal, PR as well. Enjoy.

Watch more MySpace videos on AOL Video

1 comment:

  1. Nicely written. I enjoyed reading this and loved the SNL video. Blog looks good - work on some more links for future posts. Keep it up and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete